(So I am still coming off this hiatus so I actually missed a week but I hope you’ll forgive me.)
So, what did we miss and what’s to come?
- NCBD last week (with a reminder that I’m focusing on NEW series releases or other ways to jump into a series) :
1. Lady Castle #1, by Delilah Dawson and Ashley Woods
2. Voltron, Volume 1, by Tim Hendrick and Digital Art Chefs
3. The Avengers #1.mu, (a Monsters Unleashed tie-in), by Jim Zub, David Nakayama, and Sean Izaakse.
4. Spider-Man/Deadpool #1.mu (a Monsters Unleashed tie-in), by Joshua Corin, Tigh Walker (cover: Dave Johnson)
- NCBD this week (too many to put all the covers!) :
1. Kid Eternity Volume 1, by Ann Nocenti and Sean Phillips
2. Will Eisner’s The Spirit: The Corpse-Makers #1, by Francesco Francavilla
3. Blood Blister #1, by Phil Hester and Tony Harris
4. All New X-men #1.mu (a Monsters Unleashed tie-in), by Jeremy Whitley and Carlo Barberi (cover: Adam Kubert)
5. Baltimore: The Red Kingdom #1, by Mike Mignola and Peter Bergting (cover: Ben Stenbeck)
6. Poorcraft Volume 1, by Spike Trotman and Diana Nock
7. Spider-Gwen Hardcover Volume 1, by Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez
8. Big Game Hunters Digest Volume 1, by Shon C. Bury and Jok
9. Planet of the Apes: Green Lantern #1, by Robbie Thompson and Barnaby Bagenda (cover: Ethan Van Sciver)
10. Planetoid Praxis #1, by Ken Garling
11. Mage Inc. Volume 1, by Shon C. Bury and Ian Waryanto
12. Absolute Wonder Woman Hardcover Vol. 01, by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang
13. Assassin’s Creed: Defiance #1, by Dan Watters and Jose Holder (cover: Alex Ronald)
14. Scooby: Apocalypse, by Jim Lee, Keith Giffen, J.M. Dematteis, Howard Porter, Dale Eaglesham, and Wellington Alves
- Samurai Jack is coming back in March! (March 11, to be specific.)
- NBC has announced a Witchblade TV show.
- Marvel has announced a partnership with Square Enix, Crystal Dynamics, and Eidos Montreal.
- We have a title for episode VIII: Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
- The New York Times has discontinued its Graphic Novel Hardcover, Softcover, or Manga Bestseller Lists that had been running since 2009.
- Blizzard released new skins for Overwatch in honor of the Chinese New Year. As always, Mercy continues to be my dream woman. Beyond that, however, they also released a new game mode.
- Steven Universe starts back TODAY and continues with episodes nightly this week before returning to its weekly scheduled format.
- Sailor Moon Crystal is getting a fourth season.
- Fire Emblem Heroes is coming out for Android and iOS on February 2.
- Disgaea 2 is released on PC today.
- Stranger Things won best ensemble in a drama series at the SAG Awards and David Harbour (Chief Hopper) gave a speech about not letting bullies win that was emotional and not at all thinly political. And awesome.
- Speaking of Stranger Things, Millie Bobbie Brown (Eleven) has taken on a role in Godzilla: King of Monsters.
- Renée Elise Goldsberry, Phillipa Soo, and Jasmine Cephas Jones (the original Schuyler Sisters on “Hamilton: An American Musical“) will sing “America the Beautiful” at the Super Bowl.
- San Jose, CA councilman Lan Diep was sworn in holding a Captain America shield, saying:
“I think Captain America represents…embodies the ideals of America. And those are the kind of things I’m hoping to strive for: Equal justice, fair play, and, democracy. …I think it’s a symbol of what’s positive…in this darkened political landscape. …I wasn’t trying to protest the president, but it’s a reminder of what America aspires to be. …In that way, realizing that this is the landscape I’m stepping into, I wanted to shine a ray of optimism and levity.”
- Dong Nguyen, creator of Flappy Bird, has a new game called Ninja Spinki Challenges, available free on Android and iOS.
- Funko Pop is releasing tons of new Pops. Tons.
- Voltron‘s second season dropped on Netflix.
- Supernatural hit 250 episodes.
- George R. R. Martin is putting off finishing his next book even more by releasing a new short story in an upcoming anthology.
- Richard Kelly has said he’s interested in directing a sequel to Donnie Darko:
“I think there’s something much bigger and more ambitious to do in that universe. It’s big and expensive and I think there’s time to get to that. I want to make sure we’ve got the budget to do it justice and not to compromise anything. Another story in this world needs resources and we need to have that in place. I need to get my next film out of the gate and then we can go back and look at it.”
- We got not one but two videos hyping us up for the new Mass Effect game. Check out one below and see the other here.
- The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical is coming March 23.
- We’ve got cast updates and a synopsis for Black Panther: Martin Freeman will be returning as Everett K. Ross, along with Andy Serkis as Klaw, Florence Kasumba as Ayo, John Kani as King T’Chaka, Winston Duke as M’Baku, Sterling K. Brown as N’Jobu, and Letita Wright in an unknown role.
Black Panther follows T’Challa who, after the events of Captain America: Civil War, returns home to the isolated, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to take his place as King. However, when an old enemy reappears on the radar, T’Challa’s mettle as King and Black Panther is tested when he is drawn into a conflict that puts the entire fate of Wakanda and the world at risk.
- Finally, sadly, John Hurt (Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Merlin, Hellboy, Indiana Jones and many others) and Masaya Nakamura (founder of Namco games) have passed away.